Sunday, February 19, 2006

Cat or Dog?


The rivalry between cats and dogs is a long and storied one. People tend to be "cat people" or "dog people." Rarely is one both. However, usually they are refering to a like or disdain for one four legged animal or the other. I prefer to refer to the rivalry in terms of people personalities. "Cat people" are people who refuse to please others, while "dog people" (the more common in my opinion) are people who generally want to make others happy if they are able. I used to pride myself on my catlike qualities, but lately I've been seeing the positives in the more dog-like qualities of people pleasers. It certainly makes life a bit easier to navigate, and I've come to notice that caring for people and making their life easier actually makes mine too.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chrissa said...

Maybe those dog-like qualities can be interpreted as having a pack mentality - what's good for the pack is good for me. Thus being thoughtful of others serves the greater good for social animals such as ourselves, beyond the simplistic goal of garden-variety people pleasers: "Like me, please like me!"

11:16 AM  
Blogger marshmallow soup said...

yes, that is right I think. I've become more pro-dog in both my personality style and animal pet interests for those qualities more than the basic "like me, please like me" qualities.

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home