Monday, April 10, 2006

The Devil


I saw the Daniel Johnston documentary this evening. It's called the Devil and Daniel Johnston, and although some of the reviews I read thought it was exploitive, I certainly didn't. I knew nothing about him before I stepped into the theater, but I was enthralled by his story. It manages to be both unique and an everyman's story all at once.

A musical and artistic genius tormented by mental illness, Mr. Johnston makes many grave mistakes in his life, but he seems to always be able to get people to see his talent, and people want to help him make that talent come to fruition. It made me think about what my talent is, how do I want to viewed by people over the long run, and probably most importantly, it made me think about passion---what is it, and where does it stem from? A fitting thought to contemplate on one's birthday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home