Sunday, March 05, 2006

Ex Libris


Ex Libris is my new old favorite game. It's even surpassed Taboo (and that's saying something).

Ex Libris is a English parlor game that appeals primarily to readers and writers. I used to play it a lot in San Francisco, but once I moved back to Boston 1) I didn't have a lot of people to play with and 2) I left all my copies of the game with people in SF.

Here's a description of the game:

Players try to both:

* guess the correct 1st or last line to a novel

* write a face 1st or last line to a novel and trick other players into thinking it is real


Points are scored for making correct guesses and for tricking other players.

The actual 1st/last lines for novels such as the following are included:

* Moby Dick

* Pride and Prejudice

* Jude the Obscure

* Zuleika Dobson

* The Spy Who Loved Me

* The House at Pooh Corner

A few weeks ago, I was in a gaming store in Harvard Square and saw a copy. All my lovely Ex Libris memories came flooding back. I had to get it!

I played with a few San Francisco ex pat friends here in Inman Square, and it was as just as good as I remembered. It didn't hurt that I beat the pants off of everyone. I tried hard not to gloat, but I was only mildly successful.

We haven't played it since (hmmm...should I take the hint?), but not to worry, I'm hatching a plan to bring Ex Libris into my regular game playing routine again. Let the games begin!

1 Comments:

Blogger Chrissa said...

No no, you were incredibly gracious about your stunning victory. But now we know the ugly truth!

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home