Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Winter Shedding


It seems to be finally spring here in Massachusetts. Mind you it was still rather chilly this weekend, but at least the flowers are out, the trees are in bloom, and possible snow storms are now quite impossible.

When the weather turns, so do my thoughts of reinvention. I anticipate the summer months and the "anything is possible" attitude they invoke. Summer is a distinct season here (unlike in San Francisco) and it seems that whether one is currently associated with a school or not, summer still holds a special and important place in New Englander's hearts that I have not found quite so intensely elsewhere.

Summer means trips to the beach, camping, a more relaxed work environment (I had never heard of "summer hours" until I moved to Cambridge), later nights, and vacation. We know the warm weather will only last for a few months, so it's almost as if an statewide edict has been declared: Summer is here! Enjoy it, now! Whether one wants to or not, one becomes a "summer person" when living here.

I'm looking forward to the break that summer brings, but I'm also looking forward to the potential possibilities. My thoughts turn toward pretty dresses, strappy shoes, and bright colored t-shirts--and all the excitement and new possibility that comes with that.

I'm ready to shed the cold spirits of winter and bring on the new and tender ones. It takes time though. Just as my feet need to adjust to different shoes each spring as I move from heavy socks and boots to more delicate sandals (band aids and I become quite chummy each spring), so do I.

Spring is a bit like a big band aid--it gets me ready for the summer and yet still protects me a bit as I transition, careful not to let me go too crazy. I certainly appreciate spring's care, but I'm feeling ready to move on. I'll patiently wait, but I'm gathering my supplies so I'm at the ready--skirts, new shoes, band aids, and sun tan lotion. See you at the beach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home