Sunday, May 07, 2006

Poodles


I've been dog obsessed for quite some time now. We always had a dog or two growing up, but I have to admit that I rarely paid much attention to them. That was my sister's job. I paid a bit more attention to our menagerie of guinea pigs, mice, and parakeets, but I don't think many people would have ever described me as a "pet person."

This all changed over the past year or two. I began to come around to the way of the dog. And not just any dog mind you, but the...gasp...the poodle! I admit it. I heart poodles.

I trace this obsession back to two sources:

The first: My sister and her boyfriend have had a small chihuahua mix named Espey for a few years. She is a very sweet, smart, and easy to manage dog. My introduction to Espy sold me on the benefits of small dogs. They travel with ease, can sit on one's lap, and are satisfied with small walks around the block as opposed to hour long romps through fields. A small dog is a city dog, and I am a city girl.

The second: Once I got convinced that small dogs were the way to go, I started obsessively looking on petfinder.com. I spent many an hour scanning the profiles of Fifi, Killer, and Tinkerbelle. I soon realized that I was not alone in this obsession. My friend J. was just obsessed with finding a new pet, and after extensive research, she settled on the poodle. At first I was shocked. A poodle? Those fluffy, silly, ladies who lunch dogs? No way. Well, it turns out, yes way.

J. has been more proactive than me in the pet department, and actually got a mini chocolate poodle named Nico about six months ago. I was instantly sold on the poodle. Smart, cute, and wonderfully loyal, Nico is my new idea of the ultimate dog. He travels everywhere, doesn't shed, looks like a mini teddy bear, and likes to cuddle. The result of all this? I am now equally poodle obsessed.

I know that my life isn't quite ready for a dog yet, but I am working on it. The responsibility that comes along with dog ownership is still a little daunting--always having to come home to feed, walk, and care for a living creature (that's not myself!), etc.

Until then, I will take Nico for walks on weekends, continue to cruise petfinder.com, and dream.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chrissa said...

Awww ... is that a picture of the actual Nico? Can you dognap him?

We had a poodle when I was very little. His name was Neal. He was a one-woman dog. He loved my mother, and was very competitive with my dad, to the point of peeing on his pillow. But after an initial adjustment period (they had him before I was born) he decided to accept me, too. He liked to come into my room at night to listen in on storytime.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Annette Thomson said...

I wholeheartedly agree with you! I have wanted a dog for years, but no matter what breed I tried, I was allergic. So many poor pups had to be rehomes due to my problems. Then, on a blessed day in October last year, I brought home PJ, an apricot toy poodle. We now also have Archie, his chocolate half brother and I adore my boys. They are fiercly intelligent, great fun and the biggest rascals you can imagine! PJ dances like Nuryev and Archie, bless his fluffy paws, tries his best to copy him. Get your own poodle - you won't regret it!

12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home