Monday, June 19, 2006

In search of the photobooth


My sister recently got married in San Francisco. It was a lovely wedding for multiple reasons, but by far the most fun part of the wedding involved a photobooth and some well chosen props. Not surprisingly, as the night went on and the alcohol continued to flow, the photobooth became more and more popular. Some boas, oversized sunglasses, and fake teeth made the picture complete as they say, and a very fun time was had by all.

This photobooth success got me thinking about where and how I might recreate the photobooth experience here in Boston. When I lived in San Francisco, I was able to find a few bars that housed photobooths for public use. Some were true old fashioned original black and white photobooths, and some were more modern polaroid photobooths, but they all were fun and cool. And even though they were different, the commonality was that they were available for use!

I've done some searching here, and I've yet to be able to find a bar or restaurant with a photobooth. There used to be one at Diesel cafe, but I think it got lost in their semi-recent expansion. I've seen a few sticker booths at local malls, but somehow that doesn't quite seem the same to me. A photo is solemn, fun, poignant, and romantic all at once. There's something about a picture (especially a black and white one), that perfectly captures a mood, a place--more so than a sticker is ever able to do.

So Bostonians, can you find me a photobooth here?

3 Comments:

Blogger Chrissa said...

The last time I was at Diesel (April) the booth was still there, but so far it's the only one I've seen!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Chrissa said...

Oh, score! Check out this site that lists photobooth locations by state. It's certainly not comprehensive, but it has a bunch for Massachusetts ... complete with a picture and review of each one.
http://www.photobooth.net/locations/

5:10 PM  
Blogger marshmallow soup said...

whoohoo!!

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home