Thursday, June 29, 2006

Thank You Notes


I was brought up to write thank you notes. As a child, I would dutifully write them to grandparents and my mother's friends under her watchful eye. I didn't love writing them then, but I did it, and they didn't seem to induce as much guilt in me then as they do now in my adult life.

These days I find it incredibly difficult to write thank you notes now that I don't have my mother always bringing me pen, paper, and stamp. I've read the suggestions in the living magazines (always have cute stationary on hand in order to inspire, set up a writing station at one's desk with all needed supplies, etc.), and I've tried them, but in the end, they still don't work for me.

I know I need to write them, but even with all the pieces in place, somehow I still get stuck. It's hard to be a grown up, and when I have to write the thank you note on my own without the help of a parent, it seems I can't do it.

I fret, toss and turn at night, and beat myself up over and over again, but I still find it hard to put pen to paper and thank someone for their thoughtful gift or kind words. There's too much to think about...Is it wrong to start a thank you note with the words "thank you?" My mother always told me so. Is my handwriting too childish looking? I think so. Where are those stamps? Certainly not here where I want them to be.

It's not that I don't appreciate the gifts and thoughts that people bestow on me. Quite the contrary, I am extremely grateful. But somehow, when it comes to thanking people for them, my inner grown up refuses to come out and help me. Let's hope she comes out of hiding soon. I'm sure my great aunt does.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chrissa said...

Yes, what is it about thank yous? I have a paranoia of saying something dumb or awkward in my attempt to be original. Or else sound insincere and dull: "Thank you for the ..." I feel like with phone calls and email, it's less clear these days what demands an actual note and what doesn't, which only adds to the uncertainty and self-doubt.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home